Call for Submissions
Priority date for submissions is Friday, February 28, 2020.
The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) issues a call for submissions to its online peer-reviewed collection of interdisciplinary arts projects, Ground Works.
We welcome submissions that integrate research and practice in the fine, performing, and applied arts and design with other disciplines. We seek a wide range of interdisciplinary works that pose a challenge to traditional peer review methods by inviting examination from multiple disciplinary perspectives. Eligible projects have achieved some initial recognition; they may be collaborative or sole-author, but should demonstrably advance multiple fields within and beyond the arts.
Submissions may take traditional forms—performances, exhibitions, compositions, publications, or designed and built projects—that also contribute to fields for which such forms are not typical. Equally, contributions that demonstrate experimental, non-traditional, or atypical approaches are welcomed.
Irrespective of mediums and approaches, successful submissions will reveal the integrative processes behind their work. These projects will be included in an online, open-access showcase of exemplar projects that contribute to understanding of the practices that underlie arts-integrative interdisciplinary work.
New submissions begin with a “letter of interest” -- a short summary of the project. These are reviewed by Editors for fit with the scope and mission of the journal. There is an anticipated 10-day turnaround on decisions in Stage 1. Submitters may then be invited to the second project review stage (anticipated 1-month turnaround), in which they provide a 1,000 word narrative addressing the interdisciplinary innovations and integrations found within the project, as well as media for their project. Stage 2 submissions will be examined by three external reviewers. Successfully evaluated projects are included in our online compendium, and their authors are invited to contribute reflections on their process and effective practice.
Ground Works Editorial Board 2020
- Rachel A. Brennan - Penn State University
- Ivica Ico Bukvic - Virginia Tech
- Mark Callahan - University of Georgia
- Edgar Cardenas - Michigan State University
- Michelle Carpenter - University of Colorado, Denver
- Lake Douglas - Louisiana State University
- Cassandra Fraser - University of Virginia
- Chris Garvin - University of Georgia
- R. Benjamin Knapp - Virginia Tech
- Aaron D. Knochel - Penn State University
- Susan Lakin - Rochester Institute of Technology
- Samantha Lazar - Dartmouth
- Amy Lorek - Penn State University
- Olivia Lucas - Louisiana State University
- Joey Orr - University of Kansas
- Rebecca Salzer - University of Alabama
- Dane Webster - University of Colorado, Denver